Alison Carter Ramirez
Dr. Ali Carter Ramirez is a junior fellow in the Female Pelvic Medicine Reconstructive Surgery program and she is really excited about starting the next steps of her career here at Foothills Medical Center. She completed her Medical School and Obstetrics & Gynaecology Residency at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and then relocated to Calgary to pursue her goal of subspecialty training as a Urogynaecologist (as well as her dream of living near the mountains!).
Her research interests include postpartum pelvic floor dysfunction, surgical education and quality improvement in gynaecologic surgery.
Ali is looking forward to actively contributing to the education of medical students and OBGYN residents on caring for women with pelvic floor disorders.
Dr. Breffini Anglim grew up in Wexford, Ireland and completed her medical school in University College Dublin, Ireland. She started her residency in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Ireland in 2011. She completed 18 months of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship in Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, and is doing a 6-month elective as a visiting fellow to finish her fellowship training in Calgary.
She has a strong interest in research and was awarded an MSc in Healthcare Management from the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland. She is currently doing a Doctor of Medicine (MD) thesis in urinary microbiome in women with recurrent urinary tract infections. Her other research interests include obstetric anal sphincter injury and the use and development of prediction models in pelvic floor surgery. Breffini is passionate about clinical teaching and is looking forward to contributing to the further education of medical students and residents in Calgary.
Breffini hopes to bring the international experience in surgical skills, clinical research and education she has gained in Canada back to Ireland, where she will return in December this year.
Since it’s inception, the Urogynecology / Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship Program at the University of Calgary has graduated numerous fellows who are providing first class care to women across Canada & internationally. Our esteemed alumni include:
- Dr. Hazam Al-Mandeel – 2006, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Roxana Geoffrion – 2008, Assistant Professor at UBC, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Isabelle Girard, 2011, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, QC
- Dr. Anita Harding, 2011, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
- Dr. Erin Brennand, 2013, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB
- Dr. Eider Ruiz-Mirazo, 2015, South Health Campus, Calgary, AB
- Dr. Dobrochna Globerman, 2016, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB
- Dr. Louise-Helene Gagnon, 2016, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Sara Houlihan, 2018, Royal Columbian Hospital, UBC, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Hanan Al-Shankiti, 2018, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Dr. Emily Sandwith, 2020, Victoria General Hospital, Victoria, BC