The Calgary Women’s Pelvic Health Research Group is a dynamic group of health research professionals from diverse backgrounds. Our mission is to contribute to high quality research in Pelvic Floor Disorders and Women’s Health using a variety of methodologies.
We are a collaborative group, drawing on each other’s strengths and experiences. The group houses expertise in quantitive and qualitative research, with a focus on patient oriented outcomes, pragmatic clinical trials, and medical technologies. Committed to integrity in pursuit of scientific knowledge and truth, our group strives to promote the evolution of gynecologic care through research. Membership fluctuates depending on project and interest.
The Director of the Calgary Women’s Pelvic Health Research Group is Erin Brennand, MD, MSc, FRCSC, Associate Professor, Departments of Obstetrics & Gynaecology and Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary.
Current Research Projects
Hysterectomy vs. Uterine Preservation for Pelvic Organ Prolapse Surgery (HUPPS) Study
This study is a cohort study investigating longitudinal sexual function after prolapse surgery and understanding medical decision-making regarding whether to have one’s uterus removed or suspended in repair of pelvic organ prolapse.
Health Outcomes 5 years after the Mid-Urethral Sling Trial (MUST)
This study aims at better understanding how the different groups of patients undergoing one of two techniques for retropubic mid-urethral sling placement differ in the trajectories of health outcomes that women experience in the first 5 years after their MUS procedure.
Continence Outcome After Peri-Urethral Bulking Treatment (COAPBT) Study
This prospective quality improvement project aims to study the outcomes for women who choose peri-urethral bulking to treat their stress urinary incontinence. This study follows patients from the time of their procedure to one year post-procedure, with the goal of identifying how we can optimize the continence outcomes for women who undergo peri-urethral bulking.
Core membership includes:
- Shunaha Kim-Fine, MD, MSc, Clinical Assistant Professor and Section Head, Urogynecology
- Ariel Ducey, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Calgary
- Colin Birch, MBBS, Associate Professor, Department Head, Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Sue Ross, PhD – Professor and Cavarzan Chair in Mature Women’s Health Research, University of Alberta
- Magali Robert, MD, MSc – Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Calgary
- Kaylee Ramage, MPH, PhD Candidate, Research Scientist, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Natalie Scime, MSc, PhD Candidate, Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary
- Urogynecology/FPMRS Fellows during their training
- Julia Chai, BSc, MD Student, University of Calgary
- Undergraduate and Medical Student Summer Students
Calgary Pelvic Floor Clinic
Foothills Medical Centre
Basement of North Tower, Women’s Health Centre