Shunaha Kim-Fine, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Dr. Shunaha Kim-Fine hails from Southwestern Ontario where she started her education in Nursing. After completing Medical School at Queen’s University and OBGYN residency at Western Ontario University, she trained at Mayo Clinic, Rochester in the Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship program. She also received a Masters of Science and a Certificate in Clinical and Translational Sciences. She has since settled in Calgary, joining four other academic urogynecologists.
Dr. Kim-Fine started clinical practice in 2014, and joined the Cumming School of Medicine faculty as a Clinical Assistant Professor. She strives to achieve excellence in patient care, mentor trainees in urogynecology and help build the research productivity of the Section of Pelvic Medicine. She remains an active member of the Society for Gynecologic Surgeons Systematic Review Group.
- Brennand EA, Tang S, Birch C, Robert M, Kim-Fine S. Early voiding dysfunction after mid-urethral sling: comparison of two management approaches. International Urogynecology Journal. doi: 10.1007/s00192-017-3302-y.
- Brennand EA, Kim-Fine S. A randomized clinical trial of how to best position retropubic slings for stress urinary incontinence: Development of a study protocol for the mid-urethral sling tensioning (MUST) trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications. 2016; 3:60-4.
- El-Nashar SA, Singh R, Bacon MM, Kim-Fine S, Occhino JA, Gebhart JB, Klingele CJ. Female Urethral Diverticulum: Presentation, Diagnosis and Predictors of Outcomes After Surgery. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. November/December 2016.
- Kim-Fine S and Brennand, EA. Surgical Simulation and Competency. Obstet Gyencol Clin North Am. September 2016; 43(3):575-90.
- Olivera CK, Meriwether K, El-Nashar S, Grimes CL, Chen CC, Orejuela F, Antosh D, Gleason J, Kim-Fine S, Wheeler T, McFaddden B, Balk EM, Murphy M. Nonantimuscarinic treatment for overactive bladder: a systematic review. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jul; 215 (1):34-57.
- Kim-Fine S, El-Nashar SA, Linder BJ, Casiano ER, Woelk JL, Gebhart JB, Klingele CJ, Trabuco EC. Patient Satisfaction After Sling Revision for Voiding Dysfunction After Sling Placement. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. 2016 May-June.
- Kim-Fine S and Gebhart JB. Pouch of Douglas Hernia. OBG Management. March 2013.
- El Nashar S, Bacon M, Kim-Fine S, Weaver AM, Klingele CJ. Female Urethral Diverticulum: Population and Referral Based Incidence. International Urogynecology Journal. 2014 Jan; 25(1) 73-9.
- El Nashar S, Kim-Fine S, Trabuco EC. Early and Complete Excision of Vaginally Placed Synthetic Mesh: A Case Report. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. May/June 2013 – Volume 19 – Issue 3 – p 186-187.
- Kim-Fine S, Gebhart JB, Occhino JA. Medium Term Changes in Vaginal Anatomy and Sexual Function. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. 2013. In Press.
- Kim-Fine S, Torgerson RR, Wieland CN, Klingele CJ. Plasma Cell Mucositis of the Vagina: A Case Report. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012.
- Kim-Fine S, Occhino JA, Gebhart JB. Vaginal Prolapse Repair; Native Tissue Repair versus Mesh Augmentation: “Newer isn’t always better”. Current Bladder Dysfunction Reports. March 2013, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp 25-31.
- Kim-Fine S, Gebhart JB. Case: Rectocele and SUI. Expert Case Scenarios in Female Urology and Urogynecology. JP Medical, Ltd. In press.
- Kim-Fine S, Weaver AM, Woolley SM, Gebhart JB. Musculoskeletal Disorders Among Vaginal Surgeons. International Urogynecology Journal. October 19, 2012.
- Kim-Fine S, Regnault T, Lee J, Gimbel S, Greenspoon J, Fairbairn J, Summers K, de Vrijer B. Male gender promotes an increased inflammatory response to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in umbilical vein blood. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. November 2012, Volume 25, Issue 11, pp. 2470 – 74.
- Kim-Fine S, Woolley SM, Gebhart JB. Video Motion Analysis to Assess Surgeons’ Ergonomic Risk Factors During Vaginal Surgery. Submitted for publication.
- Kim-Fine S, Casiano EC, Jankowski CJ, Gebhart JB. Uvular Necrosis after Gynecologic Surgery. Journal of Anesthesiology & Clinical Science. 2013 (2): 9 (2 February 2013).
- Klingele CJ, Kim-Fine S. Surgical Treatment of Urinary Incontinence. eMedicine from WebMD. Updated November 30, 2010.
- Kim-Fine S, Barber MB, Tizzano AP, Walters M. A Historical Perspective on our Understanding of the Uterovaginal Connective Tissue Supports, FPMRS 2010; 16(3):147-157.
- Kim S, Harvey MA, Johnston SL. A review of the epidemiology and pathophysiology of Pelvic Floor Dysfunction: Do racial differences matter? JOGC 2005; 27(3):251–259.
Calgary Pelvic Floor Clinic
Foothills Medical Centre
Basement of North Tower, Women’s Health Centre